Today I’m excited to be interviewing Johanna Rothman. Her book “Behind Closed Doors: Secrets to Great Management” was pivotal when I first began my management career.
Johanna helps leaders and teams see problems and resolve risks in their product development. She’s the author of close to a dozen books and writes a blog on her web site JRothman.com.
Topics covered in the show:
- Don’t micromanage
- As a manager you may no longer have the technical experience required to make informed decisions
- Managers should manage strategy, coaching and feedback
- Providing feedback is extremely important as are private conversations
- Traditional performance reviews are becoming obsolete
- Manage your weaknesses and build on your strengths
- Management by walking around
Advice for new managers:
- Establish great rapport with your team
- have one-on-ones
- get to know them as individuals
- help them achieve their career goals
- Understand the risks your team faces
- Define what kind of manager you want to be
Links and resources mentioned in the show:
Subscribe to MSP!